Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Curse of the Banana


Steelheaders are understandably a superstitious bunch. Trying to provoke a grab one of the most ghostlike mysterious freshwater fish on the planet with a fly, when they aren't even actively feeding will do that. and when most of us catch only a handful of fish in a given season, we're looking for any little bit of luck we can get. Matt Klara's column for sexy loops this week on fishing superstitions got me thinking about my own superstitions surrounding fishing. I have a few but perhaps the most important is, never bring bananas fishing. I wont even touch them for 24 hours before a trip, wouldn't want to carry any bad mojo with me on the road. So a couple weeks back when my friend Jon Moore showed up for a day of fishing with a banana I was concerned. Apparently he was unaware of the fact that bringing a bananas is a surefire way to ensure that you have a fishless day on the river. The damage was done though and after a good natured ribbing we strung up the rods and started fishing. It wasn't 10 minutes before Jon had hooked and lost a fish on his first day EVER speycating. Needless to say I was feeling a little sheepish.

Flash forward two weeks. Yesterday back on the same river, his 4th day of fishing the two-hander. After a quiet morning I went back tot he truck while he went down river to fish another run. Grabbing sandwiches from his bag I reached in and, gasp another banana. For a superstitious steelhead bum like myself this is when the horror movie sound track starts. Oh god, this day might as well be over. He brought a banana again AND now I'd touched it. Anyways, trying to get over the sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach I tossed the sandwiches in my backpack and headed back to the river to meet Jon. In the next run, a sweet, long piece of water with two foot chunks of grantie interspersed throuhout I set Jon in the bottom half and started at the top. Ten minutes later it was deja vu all over again, him with a hot fish jumping on the end of the line, me feeling incredulous that my banana superstition didn't seem to apply to him.

The thing is, the fish ended up coming unpinned and I didn't touch anything either of the two days. So perhaps the curse of the banana is real after all. The only way to truly establish the credibility of the ancient and feared banana curse is to put it to the test by swinging a fish while dangling a banana in the water from your wading belt. Of course to do such a thing is to risk death or worse, bad steelhead karma...Klara are you game?

7 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the banana curse. Nothing but bad mojo for bringing a banana on the boat. The last banana I had on my boat was snuck on by a guest, under the direction of a friend of mine, to mess with me. He brought it out and ate it at lunch, I said WTF, and he was severely outfished by his friend that day. I would like to see you swinging with one daningling off your wading belt though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As your friend taught you, curses only apply to those who believe in them.

    from my experience bananas (or any other food) have zero impact on my fishing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had a long running fantasy of dropping an entire bushel of bananas from the NF Nehalem bridge, and having a buddy film the mayhem that ensues when it floats past the 40 dude lineup 1/4 mile downstream at the hatchery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Challenge accepted. Looking forward to it. :)

    Love the post tags btw. Mojo, insanity, mythology. Those go with all posts about steelhead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wondering why you no longer list my blog on yours?.

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43089413/ns/us_news-life/t/fishing-boat-collision-ship-sinks-missing/

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://idylwilde.com/wordpress/2010/04/was-the-potassium-worth-it/

    ReplyDelete